Door to Door Solicitors
Please be cautious when dealing with door to door salespeople.
– Is the salesperson at your door properly licensed?
– What are your rights under the federal “Cooling Off” rule and the Virginia Home Solicitation Sales Act?
Fairfax County License
- When a solicitor knocks…
- Ask for his or her license.
- If they do not have a valid license, ask them to leave.
- Close and lock your door.
- Immediately call Fairfax County Police (non-emergency) at 703-691-2131 to report the violation.
What a license looks like:
The Fairfax County Solicitor’s License is a laminated card that displays the solicitor’s photograph,name, and personal information on the front side. The back side of the license displays the solicitor’s business information and thumbprints. It is valid for one year from date of issue.
The Virginia and Federal laws apply to virtually all purchases made in your home or at any location that is not the seller’s permanent place of business.
Virginia law gives consumers the right to cancel a home solicitation contract for $25 or more at any time prior to midnight of the third business day after the date of the transaction. Virginia law requires that the Buyer’s Right to Cancel must appear as a conspicuous caption on the front side of the receipt or contract, or immediately above the buyer’s signature, in bold face type with a minimum size of 10 points. Under federal law, the seller must give you two copies of a cancellation form: one to keep and one to send.
For more detailed information, including how to cancel a home solicitation, please carefully study